element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products & Partners
    Products & Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Brewing beer - Automate the mashing process - where to start???
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Not Answered
  • Replies 12 replies
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 1431 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • help
  • rasberrypi
  • brewing
  • arduino
  • meshing
  • beginner
  • beer
Related

Brewing beer - Automate the mashing process - where to start???

e14 Contributor
e14 Contributor over 13 years ago

Hi Folks,

 

My name is Sebastian, I am from Berlin, Germany, I have a degree in computer science and recently started home brewing beer :-) . Since this is not only a lot of fun but also a lot of work I wanted to start automate part of the brewing process. I did some soldering when I was 10-12 but never got any "real" project done.

So basicly I don't have a clue yet where to start but I hope to get support from this great community and a push in the right direction. I think of using an Arduino or an RasberryPi plus some relays and temperature sensors...

 

So here is what I want to do:

 

When it comes to brewing beer you want to controll the temperature of the brewing kettle.

For example:

 

- 15 minutes at 55 degrees celsius.

- Then go up to 64 degrees celsius, holding it for 30 minutes,

- then  go up to 72 degrees celsius, holding it fo 20 minutes

- finally go up to 78 for 40 minutes.

 

There can be up to 5 steps which can be programmed by the user for each beer recipe. I think there is already some software out there which runs on the RasberryPI and I think this is where I will have the least problems. But I totally suck at soldering, knowing nothing about how to attach sensors (which sensors???) to the RasberryPi, what voltage to use etc etc.

So, I don't want to study for 2 years elecronics, but lets say a month. Where should I start? Are there some great beginners tutorials which you can recommend?

 

Thanks for every tip,

 

Cheers,

Sebastian

 

P.S. I have one of these, which I want to modify and then would be controlled by the Rasberry or Arduino: http://www.amazon.de/Weck-Einkochautomat-2000-Watt-Emaille/dp/B000PKEZL0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1372698539&sr=8-1&keywords=einkochautomat+weck

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • DAB
    0 DAB over 13 years ago

    Hi Sebastian,

     

    Step # 1, make sure you have a very stable brewing process.  If you can get the same quality beer each time you run the process, then you are ready to automate it.

     

    Step # 2, document the process steps, timing, temperatures, and other details so that you can design an automated process to duplicate the process.

     

    Step # 3, build and test.  Verify that the process works and validate that the beer is up to drinking standards, always my favorite part.

     

    As others have stated, the RPi was not intended as a process control, but after 40 years in systems engineering, I can tell you that it is more than capable of controlling this sort of process as long as you have a well defined process.

     

    So go define your brewing process and then post about how you intend to approach the process with an automated implementation.  We can then verify if you have all of the details covered and have an approach that might work.

     

    Until then, get busy, you have a lot of detail to document.

     

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    0 e14 Contributor over 13 years ago in reply to DAB
    but after 40 years in systems engineering

     

     

    Now you've got me puzzled.  I was led to believe your expertise was in

    naval war history, quantum physics, software adaptive algorithms, 

    electro-optical sensors, and project management. and now you want us to believe

    it's in systems engineering? image

     

    Step #4:  If you are using a device outside its intended scope of application,

    find out it's MTBF.  If a controlling device freezes, it becomes incapable of controlling

    just about any process.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    0 DAB over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    I am a man of many talents.

     

    I have also brewed Honey Mead, which was quite delicious.  I bake bread, take lightning photographs, research lightning, I am co-author on a US patent Application on Adaptive Algorithms, guided my office to a CMMI level II compliance, created a Hyperspectral Workbench, and a whole lot of things most of you will never hear about.  Did I mention my laser research?

     

    My Systems Engineering skills cover search and rescue control system for a helicopter coupled to a FLIR system to fly in 0/0 visibility levels, Integrated Avionics, and an Integrated EC test facility plus much more.

     

    Come over to the Dark Side of the Force and I will open your eyes about the Universe.

     

    Just a thought,

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • e14 Contributor
    0 e14 Contributor over 13 years ago in reply to DAB

    I'm not local to Dayton, and I probably wouldn't be much help with

    regard to quantum physics, although I welcome anything you might

    post on the subject, as I do have an interest in shared apertures.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
  • DAB
    0 DAB over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    I admit, such a tale would indeed arouse suspision, even in a relaxed inebriated state.

     

    Still, a good tale is worth listening to, even if unbelievable it might still produce a modicum of entertainment.

     

    On a side note, if you are still in the Dayton area, send me a private message.  I am looking for good objective people to help validate my theory.

     

    Enjoy,

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • DAB
    0 DAB over 13 years ago in reply to e14 Contributor

    I admit, such a tale would indeed arouse suspision, even in a relaxed inebriated state.

     

    Still, a good tale is worth listening to, even if unbelievable it might still produce a modicum of entertainment.

     

    On a side note, if you are still in the Dayton area, send me a private message.  I am looking for good objective people to help validate my theory.

     

    Enjoy,

    DAB

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
Children
  • e14 Contributor
    0 e14 Contributor over 13 years ago in reply to DAB

    I'm not local to Dayton, and I probably wouldn't be much help with

    regard to quantum physics, although I welcome anything you might

    post on the subject, as I do have an interest in shared apertures.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube