element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum What Do You Do With Your Projects When You Have Finished Them?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 24 replies
  • Subscribers 635 subscribers
  • Views 2161 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

What Do You Do With Your Projects When You Have Finished Them?

rscasny
rscasny over 8 years ago

Since I've been with element14, it's been fun to watch our members report on the projects they have accomplished. It's even more fun to read what members think or react to other members' projects. And some of the projects you dream up are really quite clever. I would hate to think that after you did a project, they just ended up on a shelf gathering dust. So, I'm curious...image

 

What happens to your project builds (prototypes) after you build them?image

 

My guess is that some of the projects actually are being used or may end up as a product on kickstarter? I have corresponded with a few members who said they are actually trying to build something they can sell.

 

I also have a hunch that some of the projects are personal labs, that is, learning experiences because they plan on entering a certain field or industry where your project experience gives you some hands-on skills.

 

If you don't mind me asking you directly, what happens to your projects? If you have the time, share your specific comments or stories below. Thanks

 

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 8 years ago

    I got interested in electronics after retirement from an unrelated engineering field (but of course all engineering fields use electronics these days, it is just that in my work we had project specialists and my specialty wasn't electronics).  Electronics interested me because it was an opportunity to learn new things.  Pretty soon a local educator learned I was an engineer and interested in electronics and before long I was asked if I would contribute some introductory course material.  And my grandson became interested in what I was doing, and I got more interested, and one thing led to another...

     

    This background explains what happens to my projects which can be broken down into a couple of areas:

    • Self Education:  I am self taught so a lot of projects are done solely for learning.  If similar material / projects are already out there on the internet I will normally disassemble the parts for use later and put them back in the drawer.
    • Personal Use:  Mostly this is something I will do for the grandchildren like make blinking tiaras, Halloween costumes and accompaniments, games, toys, etc.  I once made a Sous Vide controller that I still use but none of it is really saleable.
    • Broader Education:  If I am doing something that I haven't seen published elsewhere I like to write it up in a manner I hope others will find useful. An example is the experimentation I did with the Texas Instruments MSP430FR2xxx series microcontrollers and my AIS Ship alarm published here on e14. For these projects, the hardware isn't that important at the end of the day - it is the published documentation and ideas that hopefully helps someone else out.
    • Contests and RoadTests:  I have only recently started entering these.  I do it solely for fun and they have to align with my self education or broader education goals.
    • Saleable Product:  I did one project with a friend that sold in small quantity but am not actively looking to make a profit on what I do.

     

    I do have some stuff sitting on the shelf not doing anyone any good.  I have been looking to trade it or give it to someone who will put it to better use and recently gave some things to a neighbor kid.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +7 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 8 years ago

    I got interested in electronics after retirement from an unrelated engineering field (but of course all engineering fields use electronics these days, it is just that in my work we had project specialists and my specialty wasn't electronics).  Electronics interested me because it was an opportunity to learn new things.  Pretty soon a local educator learned I was an engineer and interested in electronics and before long I was asked if I would contribute some introductory course material.  And my grandson became interested in what I was doing, and I got more interested, and one thing led to another...

     

    This background explains what happens to my projects which can be broken down into a couple of areas:

    • Self Education:  I am self taught so a lot of projects are done solely for learning.  If similar material / projects are already out there on the internet I will normally disassemble the parts for use later and put them back in the drawer.
    • Personal Use:  Mostly this is something I will do for the grandchildren like make blinking tiaras, Halloween costumes and accompaniments, games, toys, etc.  I once made a Sous Vide controller that I still use but none of it is really saleable.
    • Broader Education:  If I am doing something that I haven't seen published elsewhere I like to write it up in a manner I hope others will find useful. An example is the experimentation I did with the Texas Instruments MSP430FR2xxx series microcontrollers and my AIS Ship alarm published here on e14. For these projects, the hardware isn't that important at the end of the day - it is the published documentation and ideas that hopefully helps someone else out.
    • Contests and RoadTests:  I have only recently started entering these.  I do it solely for fun and they have to align with my self education or broader education goals.
    • Saleable Product:  I did one project with a friend that sold in small quantity but am not actively looking to make a profit on what I do.

     

    I do have some stuff sitting on the shelf not doing anyone any good.  I have been looking to trade it or give it to someone who will put it to better use and recently gave some things to a neighbor kid.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +7 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube