element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum What Do You Do With Your Projects When You Have Finished Them?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 24 replies
  • Subscribers 635 subscribers
  • Views 2149 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

What Do You Do With Your Projects When You Have Finished Them?

rscasny
rscasny over 8 years ago

Since I've been with element14, it's been fun to watch our members report on the projects they have accomplished. It's even more fun to read what members think or react to other members' projects. And some of the projects you dream up are really quite clever. I would hate to think that after you did a project, they just ended up on a shelf gathering dust. So, I'm curious...image

 

What happens to your project builds (prototypes) after you build them?image

 

My guess is that some of the projects actually are being used or may end up as a product on kickstarter? I have corresponded with a few members who said they are actually trying to build something they can sell.

 

I also have a hunch that some of the projects are personal labs, that is, learning experiences because they plan on entering a certain field or industry where your project experience gives you some hands-on skills.

 

If you don't mind me asking you directly, what happens to your projects? If you have the time, share your specific comments or stories below. Thanks

 

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • dougw
    dougw over 8 years ago

    I had put this under the poll, but I guess this is where it belongs....

    I do a lot of projects so there are multiple destinations.

    Most of my projects are aimed at things I might find useful, or educating myself on the technology but some are just for fun.

    Some are for family members.

    Some are tackled just for the shear challenge of doing something unique.

    Some completed projects don't see a lot of use since I have far more technology than I actually need, but some I use every day.

    Sometimes (rarely) I cannibalize an old project to feed a new project.

    Some projects are sitting in a queue to be upgraded.

    Some projects are tools or instruments that help build more projects.

    Some projects are ornamental and get displayed when and where appropriate.

    Some projects are accessories that go into service and never illicit a further thought.

    Some projects are for one time use and get re-purposed immediately.

    Some projects I don't quite know what to do with, mostly because I don't have enough room to put them on display.

    Some projects I have a vague idea to commercialize because I know others would like them, but I'm much more interested in creating things than spending time on business activities.

    I like having lots of project around - they bring back good memories.

     

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +9 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • dougw
    dougw over 8 years ago

    I had put this under the poll, but I guess this is where it belongs....

    I do a lot of projects so there are multiple destinations.

    Most of my projects are aimed at things I might find useful, or educating myself on the technology but some are just for fun.

    Some are for family members.

    Some are tackled just for the shear challenge of doing something unique.

    Some completed projects don't see a lot of use since I have far more technology than I actually need, but some I use every day.

    Sometimes (rarely) I cannibalize an old project to feed a new project.

    Some projects are sitting in a queue to be upgraded.

    Some projects are tools or instruments that help build more projects.

    Some projects are ornamental and get displayed when and where appropriate.

    Some projects are accessories that go into service and never illicit a further thought.

    Some projects are for one time use and get re-purposed immediately.

    Some projects I don't quite know what to do with, mostly because I don't have enough room to put them on display.

    Some projects I have a vague idea to commercialize because I know others would like them, but I'm much more interested in creating things than spending time on business activities.

    I like having lots of project around - they bring back good memories.

     

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +9 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube