element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum GIF animations to document blogs
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 19 replies
  • Subscribers 630 subscribers
  • Views 4408 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • blog posts
  • gif
Related

GIF animations to document blogs

Jan Cumps
Jan Cumps over 4 years ago

In the past I used videos, with talk, or without talk, to explain dynamic behaviour of projects.
Lately, when I thought it made sense, I switched to short snippets showing behaviour. And when short enough (seconds) to animated GIFs.

image
I don't really like the silent videos, but the silent GIFs in a story work for me.
Like Jupyter executable notebooks, this allows to show behaviour. It also makes blogs a bit "busy/alive" depending on taste.

Thoughts?

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • scottiebabe
    scottiebabe over 4 years ago

    I think GIFs are interesting and are fun to experiment with. I definitely consider myself a beginner at GIFs lol  I also have a difficult time creating gif with a small filesize from video.

    A cause and effect GIF like the following I think adds great value:

    image

    And its only 85 kB Stuck out tongue

    Here is a GIF with good intentions, but is difficult to understand on its own.

    image

    It was intended to show the circuit sleeping at 700 nA, but it is difficult to make that out just looking at the GIF on its own.

    Freehand video turned into a GIF doesn't look that great either.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • scottiebabe
    scottiebabe over 4 years ago

    I think GIFs are interesting and are fun to experiment with. I definitely consider myself a beginner at GIFs lol  I also have a difficult time creating gif with a small filesize from video.

    A cause and effect GIF like the following I think adds great value:

    image

    And its only 85 kB Stuck out tongue

    Here is a GIF with good intentions, but is difficult to understand on its own.

    image

    It was intended to show the circuit sleeping at 700 nA, but it is difficult to make that out just looking at the GIF on its own.

    Freehand video turned into a GIF doesn't look that great either.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 4 years ago in reply to scottiebabe

    One of the previous Community Managers once mentioned something that has stuck with me.. he once stated that when writing a blog, there's no need to write what is in a photo, because people can see for themselves what is in the photo. I thought that was pretty useful insight, because then it made me think what is in a photo? The way I interpreted it, is that if I'm writing a blog, then my photo(s) should be able to describe themselves, i.e. make the photo clear, or at least have arrows or annotation to place focus in the right place, and then the text doesn't need to describe the photo. Not saying I always manage to observe this, but it has helped as a guideline for me.  The 700nA GIF would not be clear so would need text to explain, by which point perhaps the GIF may be of very limited use.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube