Wire nuts are pretty handy for holding wires together.
What else can they be used for ?

Wire nuts are pretty handy for holding wires together.
What else can they be used for ?

Attached is a brochure for the product. Great pictures to see how they work.
The wire nut has a spring inside that you screw onto the twisted wire. It does a good job of accommodating different twist geometries and the spring is made of strong enough wire that you can twist it on tightly. It acts like a multi-layer noose that gets tighter as you twist, ending up with continuous force squeezing the twisted wires with even more conductive wire, and it won't spontaneously loosen off. The plastic thimble provides grip to twist and insulation for the joint.
What happens in a wire nut? Do you simply twist the cables together and put the wire inside the wire nut hoping it doesn't separate?
Pretty much almost always screw terminals, like these ones which are part of a ceiling light fitting. They come in plastic encased blocks too.

Plastic blocks that can be cut to the desired length:

The plastic blocks above are nowadays less popular, most electricians here now prefer Wago connectors like the one shown below, which is Wago 221. They are pretty awesome, handy to keep some for quickly assembling cables without soldering or screwing, its just a plastic lever that locks or unlocks the wire. They are reusable too.


So what is used to connect AC wiring if wire nut is not used?
Wire nuts are as rare as 4-leafed clovers in the UK.
Apparently for good reason, they used to be ceramic and were dangerous with 240v, so were ultimately banned. I'm not sure about newer types of wire nuts.
Had to Google that . I've used wire nuts forever with romex in my house wiring (3 houses so far) - so it's almost second nature to me. I didn't realize they weren't used in the UK. I have to admit that I've been horrified by some DIY wiring and seen the effects of not using them properly. My son bought a fixer upper last year and we ended up replacing all of the outlets and switches. I was surprised at how bad the previous wire nut connections were.