element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum What else can you do with a wire nut ?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 12 replies
  • Subscribers 630 subscribers
  • Views 2762 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • wire nuts
Related

What else can you do with a wire nut ?

robogary
robogary over 4 years ago

Wire nuts are pretty handy for holding wires together. 

What else can they be used for ?  

image

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 4 years ago

    I wonder if they could be used as a pencil lead sharpener : )

    Wire nuts are as rare as 4-leafed clovers in the UK. I've only seen them once, when Amazon supplied a couple within a box of parts to connect a Ring doorbell. I binned them, because I had zero experience with them. They look pretty strange to people who have never seen them before, as if they cannot possibly function : ) They are a successful product in North America etc.,  so I know they must function, but they still look odd, takes some getting used-to.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 4 years ago

    I wonder if they could be used as a pencil lead sharpener : )

    Wire nuts are as rare as 4-leafed clovers in the UK. I've only seen them once, when Amazon supplied a couple within a box of parts to connect a Ring doorbell. I binned them, because I had zero experience with them. They look pretty strange to people who have never seen them before, as if they cannot possibly function : ) They are a successful product in North America etc.,  so I know they must function, but they still look odd, takes some getting used-to.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • colporteur
    colporteur over 4 years ago in reply to shabaz

    image

    So what is used to connect AC wiring if wire nut is not used?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • cstanton
    cstanton over 4 years ago in reply to shabaz
    shabaz said:
    Wire nuts are as rare as 4-leafed clovers in the UK.

    Apparently for good reason, they used to be ceramic and were dangerous with 240v, so were ultimately banned. I'm not sure about newer types of wire nuts.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • ralphjy
    ralphjy over 4 years ago in reply to shabaz

    Had to Google that Relaxed.  I've used wire nuts forever with romex in my house wiring (3 houses so far) - so it's almost second nature to me.  I didn't realize they weren't used in the UK.  I have to admit that I've been horrified by some DIY wiring and seen the effects of not using them properly.  My son bought a fixer upper last year and we ended up replacing all of the outlets and switches.  I was surprised at how bad the previous wire nut connections were.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • dougw
    dougw over 4 years ago in reply to shabaz

    They work way better than any description would suggest. I was highly skeptical when I started my summer job as an electrician's helper, but they are really quick and seem to work well for at least 20 years.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube