element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum How many bookcases are there in your home?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 15 replies
  • Subscribers 630 subscribers
  • Views 2522 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

How many bookcases are there in your home?

dougw
dougw over 4 years ago

How often do you get a book from a bookcase in your home?

I like books, but they are definitely declining in my life. I seem to acquire a book, read it and then just store it, I don't tend to re-read them.

I have 11 bookcases with a total of 52 shelves, but only about half are used for books. It is not a pleasant thought to think I really don't need any bookcases.

I also do a lot of online reading and I have a kindle and a Kobo.

Have you gone paperless?

Have you switched entirely to video?

How many minutes a day do you listen to a radio?

How often do you touch your smart phone in a day?

Do you watch more video on your smart phone than your TV?

Do you have a landline?

Do you still read newspapers?

Does all your content now come from the Internet? 

My kids would answer all of these questions very differently from me.

I am trying to get some insight into how changing demographics will dictate what will be popular on this forum.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • cstanton
    cstanton over 4 years ago
    dougw said:

    How often do you get a book from a bookcase in your home?

    Only when I need to look up something, usually it's faster than Google. Not often though, maybe once every few months?

    dougw said:

    Have you gone paperless?

    I'm reading some books from my kindle to be honest, mainly because it has a backlight.

    dougw said:

    Have you switched entirely to video?

    I do watch more videos than I do read books, but then I read more forums and blog posts than I watch videos.

    dougw said:

    How many minutes a day do you listen to a radio?

    Unless I'm in the car alone, I don't listen to the radio.

    dougw said:

    How often do you touch your smart phone in a day?

    It's always in my pocket, but usually I pick it up on work breaks, or when I need to use two factor auth.

    dougw said:

    Do you watch more video on your smart phone than your TV?

    Yeah, I don't have a television. In the UK you need a TV License to watch live broadcast television, and I don't have one.

    I watch more video on my desktop computer than I do on my smart phone, and watch more on my smart phone than I do on my TV.

    dougw said:

    Do you have a landline?

    No. Cheaper to have broadband only.

    dougw said:

    Do you still read newspapers?

    Last time I read a newspaper was probably 2005-2010 when there was a free one available on the bus when I took it to the city centre.

    dougw said:

    Does all your content now come from the Internet? 

    No, it also comes from books, or other people. Frankly I miss having an easily accessible local library. The nearest one is in the city, and I now live in a "commuter town" which has a 'corner shop' and that's it. It's homes everywhere, and some cows. 

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 4 years ago in reply to cstanton

    "Frankly I miss having an easily accessible local library."

    I live in a town, circa 150k population, with zero bookshops (the last one closed quite a few years ago), there's a WHSmith which doesn't count. Really depressing.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • dougw
    dougw over 4 years ago in reply to shabaz

    That reminds me how depressing I find large airports that do not have a single book for sale. It is an alarming trend. I would even be okay with a WHSmith.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 4 years ago in reply to dougw

    Years ago I used to always buy a book when going through the airport on a long trip, but as you say no more.  Seattle has a good public library system, including a fair number of electronic copies that can be checked out.  When I was still travelling quite a bit I would load up books up on my iPad from the library before getting to the airport.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 4 years ago in reply to dougw

    Years ago I used to always buy a book when going through the airport on a long trip, but as you say no more.  Seattle has a good public library system, including a fair number of electronic copies that can be checked out.  When I was still travelling quite a bit I would load up books up on my iPad from the library before getting to the airport.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube