element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum How many bookcases are there in your home?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 15 replies
  • Subscribers 630 subscribers
  • Views 2522 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

How many bookcases are there in your home?

dougw
dougw over 4 years ago

How often do you get a book from a bookcase in your home?

I like books, but they are definitely declining in my life. I seem to acquire a book, read it and then just store it, I don't tend to re-read them.

I have 11 bookcases with a total of 52 shelves, but only about half are used for books. It is not a pleasant thought to think I really don't need any bookcases.

I also do a lot of online reading and I have a kindle and a Kobo.

Have you gone paperless?

Have you switched entirely to video?

How many minutes a day do you listen to a radio?

How often do you touch your smart phone in a day?

Do you watch more video on your smart phone than your TV?

Do you have a landline?

Do you still read newspapers?

Does all your content now come from the Internet? 

My kids would answer all of these questions very differently from me.

I am trying to get some insight into how changing demographics will dictate what will be popular on this forum.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • baldengineer
    baldengineer over 4 years ago

    Three.

    In the living/sitting room are books around the fireplace that I think guests might enjoy. It's a mix of fiction and non-fiction. For me, I have read most of these as either Kindle or Audiobook and then bought a paper copy.

    The shelf in the office has reference books like old textbooks and stuff I look up while writing. In most cases, I use Internet searches for stuff I could look up in these references. But, sometimes, it's nice to flip through something like the Art of Electronics while refreshing my memory.

    And last, in the lab, I keep all of my vintage computer books. Owner's manuals, repair guides, and reference books of the period. I have PDFs or Archive.org bookmarks for all of these. I have paper versions for nostalgia reasons.

    These days, I value paper and digital versions of books for different reasons. (In the past, when I traveled a lot, digital books were my only method.)

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 4 years ago

    Great questions as these are all things that have changed over that past few decades.

    I have six bookcases in my house.  I currently have more books in boxes that I have on the shelves of these bookcases (mostly outdated books).  I have purged even more boxes over the past 10 years.  My wife is an avid reader, and most of the shelf space contain her books.  I have an overflowing bookcase in my office, but I find that many of these books have lost their usefulness as they too are becoming dated.  That said, there are several books that I continue to reference and there are several titles that I have been temped to add to my collection.  For years, I have bought mostly used books (ebay and amazon) to help keep the cost down as I added more titles to my technical library.

    While working, I was frequently changing jobs and constantly found myself having to bootstrap my knowledge while taking on new and interesting challenge.   This is where I would rely on books to allow me to quickly come up to speed on a new subject.  More and more, I find myself relying on online tutorials when I want to learn new technologies and one of my best sources has been element14.  The quality and quantity of content here is really amazing.  Some of the contributors here have been quite voluminous in their contributions.

    I too would almost always pick up a book on any trip through an airport, but lately the number of titles and the quality of those has been diminishing rapidly.  Recently, while on a trip and while visiting multiple airports and multiple shops, the selections were limited and almost identical in all of the shops.  Highly disappointing.  Also, I noticed recently that I have greatly reduced the number of books that I do read (and I have been a voracious reader in the past).  It seems that most of my reading was done as a way to escape my daily grinds (work and such), but now that I am retired, I have nothing to escape.  Lately I have been more interested in living my life than reading, as my level of enjoyment has been so high.

    Radio is still in my life, but mostly as a news source (NPR).  Unfortunately I have not been able to find a good music station (alternative rock) here in Texas.  While I don't put my hands on an actual newspaper, I do subscribe and read digitally everyday.  The internet and the computer are my main sources of internet content, although I do enjoy quite a few videos on my smartphone (mostly wood/metal working and other crafting and restoration projects).  And with such a capable smartphone I have long ago given up on having a landline (although my modem/router does support this feature).

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • beacon_dave
    beacon_dave over 4 years ago in reply to shabaz

    I think I must have bought the 'frameless' version... Slight smile

    I made the big mistake of buying 800mm wide bookshelves. They just collapse under the weight and leave your collection of books looking like a collapsed jenga puzzle.

    I'm not quite sure if my home or my office has the greater storage problem at the moment, I'd say that they are probably on a par with one another. I think the previous occupants must have taken most of the floor with them when they moved out as I can't seem to find it.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 4 years ago in reply to beacon_dave

    I'm the same way.  I've tried pen pads and touch pads but nothing beats a 0.7mm mechanical pencil for quick notes and a set of colored wooden pencils for sketches.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 4 years ago in reply to dougw

    Years ago I used to always buy a book when going through the airport on a long trip, but as you say no more.  Seattle has a good public library system, including a fair number of electronic copies that can be checked out.  When I was still travelling quite a bit I would load up books up on my iPad from the library before getting to the airport.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • dougw
    dougw over 4 years ago in reply to shabaz

    That reminds me how depressing I find large airports that do not have a single book for sale. It is an alarming trend. I would even be okay with a WHSmith.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 4 years ago in reply to beacon_dave

    " rapidly piling up on the floor and becoming 'structural'"

    I think there's a bookshelf designed to look like a wobbly jenga-style tower of books : ) 

    Back when going into an office was popular, I offloaded a load of books into a bookcase there, as secondary storage :) 

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 4 years ago in reply to cstanton

    "Frankly I miss having an easily accessible local library."

    I live in a town, circa 150k population, with zero bookshops (the last one closed quite a few years ago), there's a WHSmith which doesn't count. Really depressing.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • beacon_dave
    beacon_dave over 4 years ago in reply to fmilburn

    "...The one exception with paper is that I still use it to sketch and make quick notes as I work..."

    That's an issue I have as well, I've not found a solution that replaces the paper notepad for sketching and quick notes. There are some close contenders but a lot tie you to a smart phone or to a subscription based service.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • beacon_dave
    beacon_dave over 4 years ago

    I still read loads of paper books here. I need more decent bookcases though as they are rapidly piling up on the floor and becoming 'structural'. If the energy situation gets much worse here I might try building an igloo out of them and use them as insulation to hibernate through the winter.

    The lack of being able to electronically bookmark stuff in a single index is perhaps my biggest issue, but at least they don't need recharging or a network connection. Very handy during a 4-day power outage.

    I do have access to on-line books but the trouble I find is that they sometimes replace them with newer revisions and you then lose access to content which was only in the previous edition. Also a lot of books aren't available through the subscription services. I've been working with some old technology recently and that has resulted in searching for second hand books from the 80's and 90's as they aren't available in digital format.

    Perhaps ironically the Internet has perhaps made me buy more paper books as it is easier to discover, find and get hold of technical books than previously.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube