element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum How do you manage "on stock" component on your personal lab?
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 26 replies
  • Subscribers 630 subscribers
  • Views 5267 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

How do you manage "on stock" component on your personal lab?

strb
strb over 3 years ago

I was just wondering, how do you keep track of components on a personal lab?

I started by simply not doing it but pretty quickly found myself searching among an increasing amount of small component bags in search of the most close resistor value or the best op. amp. I have on hand for the job. For general passive components (resistor and capacitor) I've bought a couple of cheap kits but I suppose they were too cheap because values are scattered without an apparent logic (some E12 component, some E24 value, missing E12 values etc...).

I then started tracking available components in a simple Excel table and that for me was a big step forward: I could search any available component at "design stage" without needing to bring out the component box. A couple hours of inventory once saves me from needing to search among bags of component each time I'm designing something or drawing a scheme.

Less than a month ago I switched from Excel to "DB Browser for SQLite". I'm still learning it and using at most basic level but I'm quite pleased with the result even at this early stage.

image

This is my experience so far and I'm not regretting doing it. What's your experience on this matter? Do you have any hints?

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • Andrew J
    Andrew J over 3 years ago

    I use a MS Access database. I started with an Excel database but it just doesn’t scale - not that I have loads and loads of parts on hand, it just became cumbersome and I had great plans to set up projects with part ordering, accepting into inventory etc..  it works well enough without that though.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • Andrew J
    Andrew J over 3 years ago

    I use a MS Access database. I started with an Excel database but it just doesn’t scale - not that I have loads and loads of parts on hand, it just became cumbersome and I had great plans to set up projects with part ordering, accepting into inventory etc..  it works well enough without that though.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • strb
    strb over 3 years ago in reply to Andrew J
    Andrew J said:
    I started with an Excel database but it just doesn’t scale

    Yes exactly, same for me

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • dougw
    dougw over 3 years ago in reply to Andrew J

    How do you store the parts and know where to find them? That is the bigger issue for me.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube