element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Top Members Secret Santa - Unwrapped
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 171 replies
  • Subscribers 641 subscribers
  • Views 14548 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • christmas
  • secret santa
Related

Top Members Secret Santa - Unwrapped

spannerspencer
spannerspencer over 9 years ago

I don't know if everyone's aware, but there's a private section of the element14 Community for the Top Members, who are brought in by invite (as decided upon by the existing Top Members and the element14 team), where they discuss matters around the direction of the Community, where they help out with beta testing Community updates, and even test out new products, RoadTests & Reviews-style. But mostly they just go waaaaaay off-topic and descend into rants and raves about which Minion avatar is the strangest, or who has the biggest... soldering iron.image

 

Anyway, in December the Top Members all gathered together around the eggnog tree to exchange techno-gifts, which we (The Management) facilitated to some degree by way of distribution. Now, I know the Christmas season won't get into full swing again until late August, but their Secret Santa gifts are now arriving upon their workshop doorsteps.

 

So I'd like to invite those Top Members to give us all a big unveiling of what they got, who their Secret Santa was and why they chose the gifts they did, and for the whole Community to join in with a few ideas on what these insane elite engineering eccentrics ("improved" meaning for IEEE?) can do with their hot tech gifts.

 

Merry Christmas!

 

 

Hmm? Oh, to become a Top Member is simple, but not easy. All you have to do is make a fantastic contribution to the element14 Community by way of great projects, insightful blogs, helpful suggestions (in Feedback and Support particularly) and generally spending all your free time on here enjoying yourself image  Trust me, these guys see everything that happens, so your efforts aren't going unnoticed image  Keep it up, and you'll be a Top Member in time for this year's Secret Santa!

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • mconners
    mconners over 9 years ago

    I was Secret Santa for Instructorman (Mark Archibald) I picked an Arduino Leonardo and a GPS shield. I picked the leonardo because I saw through reading some of his posts that he had some experience with PIC microcontrollers and a few SBCs, but no experience with Arduino, so I thought it might be a fun thing for him to learn. Plus the leonardo has the added benefit of doing the keyboard emulation in case he wants to make the retro pi. spannerspencer threw the second leonardo in the box.

     

    The gps shield was selected cause I read some posts of his and it seemed like something he'd be interested in playing with, and dang, it would be something I would have liked to have. So thanks again Spanner, Element 14, and Mark, I hope you enjoy it.

     

     

    Mike

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • mconners
    mconners over 9 years ago

    I was Secret Santa for Instructorman (Mark Archibald) I picked an Arduino Leonardo and a GPS shield. I picked the leonardo because I saw through reading some of his posts that he had some experience with PIC microcontrollers and a few SBCs, but no experience with Arduino, so I thought it might be a fun thing for him to learn. Plus the leonardo has the added benefit of doing the keyboard emulation in case he wants to make the retro pi. spannerspencer threw the second leonardo in the box.

     

    The gps shield was selected cause I read some posts of his and it seemed like something he'd be interested in playing with, and dang, it would be something I would have liked to have. So thanks again Spanner, Element 14, and Mark, I hope you enjoy it.

     

     

    Mike

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • Instructorman
    Instructorman over 9 years ago in reply to mconners

    Thanks Michael!

    Your assessment is spot on.  I have not had any experience with Arduino, but I have been curious to play with the platform.  I have some previous experience with GPS modules connected to PIC platforms, so I look forward to finding out how these shield things work in the Arduino world.

     

    Mark

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube