element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Magazines
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 26 replies
  • Subscribers 637 subscribers
  • Views 1999 views
  • Users 0 members are here
Related

Magazines

Workshopshed
Workshopshed over 8 years ago

I used to be an avid reader of Practical Electronics back in my youth but stopped reading when I realised that the projects were just repeating again and again.

 

Do people still read electronics magazines? Are they still relavent?

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • dougw
    dougw over 8 years ago

    I used to read a lot of magazines - Electronics, Byte, PC World, Electronics Today and a slew of others, but that was all in the last century. Since then I occasionally glance through EP&T because they keep sending them, but I generally don't read paper magazines any more. The coverage is no longer comprehensive, quality has suffered as demand has dropped and the internet has taken over. Search engines are a huge improvement in some senses, but browsing and serendipitous discovery are problematic with the internet. If magazines were still as good as they were in their heyday, I would still read them.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • gdstew
    gdstew over 8 years ago in reply to dougw

    Don't forget Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, and Circuit Cellar (still around). More for professionals but still full of interesting ideas (at least in the

    "good old days") Electronic Design, EDN (Electronic Design News), and Computer Design.

     

    For software there was Dr Dobbs (Running light without Overbyte), and C Users Group.

     

    Plus a whole slew of hardware and software magazines that only lasted a few years and which I still have a few back issues of.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Workshopshed
    Workshopshed over 8 years ago in reply to gdstew

    I used to get Dr Dobbs, very educational

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • gdstew
    gdstew over 8 years ago in reply to Workshopshed

    It was an excellent magazine for many years. I still have most of the ones I received when I subscribed to it.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • gdstew
    gdstew over 8 years ago in reply to Workshopshed

    It was an excellent magazine for many years. I still have most of the ones I received when I subscribed to it.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube