element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Introducing a New Member
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 50 replies
  • Subscribers 635 subscribers
  • Views 3652 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • new_member
Related

Introducing a New Member

jw0752
jw0752 over 8 years ago

I recently met a new friend. He was working on a medical device and was referred to me as someone who could help him find some parts he needed. His name is Von Wolff. As I learned about him and his background in Electronics I felt he would make a good member for the element 14 Forum. I recommended that he join and I was really pleased when he followed through and signed up. vwolff Von has for over 30 years been a Design and Verification Engineer in the field of integrated circuit design and function. He has been involved in designing complex ICs for aerospace and commercial industrial applications. He has experience with many of the specialized hardware and software tools used in the design and verification process. He has completed contract projects with over 20 major companies but some of his best stories are from his beginnings working for Walt Disney, designing the ride control systems for Disneyland, Disney World, and the Epcot Center. He also spent a time designing spacecraft monitoring systems for NASA at the Jet Propulsion Lab. Von retired in 2017 and recently he has been working on some bio-electronic projects. I am looking forward to continuing my friendship with Von and I hope my friends on element 14 give him a nice welcome. As we have all experienced, the forum can be a little challenging to figure out and navigate on first contact so any hints and tips will probably be appreciated.

 

John

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • rachaelp
    rachaelp over 8 years ago

    Thanks for introducing vwolff to the element14 community John image

     

    Welcome Von! image Those bio-electronic projects John mentions sound intriguing, hopefully you can share some more about those at some point image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • vwolff
    vwolff over 8 years ago in reply to rachaelp

    Thank you rachaelp.  I've been working on a neuromodulation stimulator. The neuromodulation stimulator has been in research at University of Wisconsin at Madison for over 10 years under the name Portable Neuromodulation Stimulato (PoNS). I've been following that development and interpreting a research paper:

     

         https://www.researchgate.net/publication/321174000_The_Portable_Neuromodulation_Stimulator_PoNS_for_Neurorehabilitation .

     

    It's been used to create new neural pathways in patients who suffer from traumatic brain injuries, Parkinson's disease (My condition) and multiple sclerosis. Most of my work prior to retirement has been in the digital realm with very little analog circuit experience. I'm having trouble interpreting the analog interface between the electrodes and the human tissue.  What is your experience with analog circuits?

     

    Thanks again,

    Von

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 8 years ago in reply to vwolff

    Hi Von,

     

    Interesting document. So sorry to hear about your condition, I too know someone suffering from it.

    Most of the document was understandable (I skimmed over some parts, but tried to understand the sequence of signals and the output circuit), however is there a copy of it with the diagrams, since that would remove a few areas that were slightly unclear.

    I can think of some ideas that could replicate that functionality, but with a bit more flexibility for future tweaks. I'm guessing you're planning to use some microcontroller for the sequence generation? For the output a _lot_ of MOSFETs could be used, or arrays of drivers. A few discrete voltage levels could be available to assign to each channel (just needs a lot more MOSFETs - fortunately they are cheap). But the diagrams from that paper will help, to confirm my understanding.

    Some sketching and simulation would be needed, and some thinking about what additional flexibility is needed.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 8 years ago in reply to jw0752

    John,

     

    The signals look good.  I really like the way you were able to modularize the driver onto a single adapter.  Very cool!

     

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 8 years ago in reply to michaelkellett

    Hi Michael,

    I love electronics, there are so many elegant ways to get from point A to point B. there are even some inelegant ways as evidenced from some of my own designs. I will mention your idea to Von. We are probably locked into the present path though as the parts have been ordered and time is of the essence to Von. Thank you for the idea. I am always interested in what you have to say.

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • michaelkellett
    michaelkellett over 8 years ago in reply to jw0752

    I've come very late to this discussion - only spotted it today.

     

    This may be a daft suggestion but here goes:

     

    Why not just use a quad op amp as the driver - may not be optimum for cost but an OPA4192 can do 0 - 30V, 20V/us slew rate, 10 mA drive easily, more for non continuous operation.

     

    Can get it in a TSSOP14 package so it's tiny. Resistors in 0402 or 4 in 1206 won't take up much space.

     

    Let me know if the idea is appealing and I'll think of a circuit.

     

    MK

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 8 years ago in reply to genebren

    Hi Gene,

    Von and I spent a couple hours today testing the MOSFET circuit that you recommended. We are using a TC2320 chip which has one N Ch and one P Ch chip in an SOIC 8 package. This allows us to put one driver circuit on each bread board adapter. I was also able to pull the other peripheral passives up onto the little adapter board. We will be able to drive one each of Von's 16 channels with each module and all we will have for external connections are power rails and one input and one output. We both want to thank you for the good solution to increasing the output of the device.

    image

     

    image

    The blue is the signal from the generator and the yellow is the output from the MOSFET module.

     

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 8 years ago in reply to jw0752

    John,

     

    The N-Channel MOSFET acts as an open drain inverter, so replacing it with an open collector inverter works fine.  Or, you could leave out the 7406 and drive an N-channel MOSFET directly (as shown in the initial reply).  Either way should work fine.

     

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 8 years ago in reply to genebren

    Is there any advantage to the two stages using the P Ch as a switch and the N Ch as a driver? I have some TC2320 chips which house one of each.

     

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 8 years ago in reply to jw0752

    John,

     

    Here is a quick sketch of how you could do this with a 7406 (open collector) to switch the high-side MOSFET.  Shown is a single channel.

    image

     

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 8 years ago in reply to genebren

    Hi Gene,

    I am trying to set up a bread board of the circuit you proposed using the BSD 223.  If I am using the output of a 7406 for the input how do I interface. Do I have one channel or do I have two with the 2 inputs and 2 outputs. Von may understand but I don't and I am trying to set up the experiment before he comes in the next few days.

     

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 8 years ago in reply to genebren

    Hi Gene,

    I am trying to set up a bread board of the circuit you proposed using the BSD 223.  If I am using the output of a 7406 for the input how do I interface. Do I have one channel or do I have two with the 2 inputs and 2 outputs. Von may understand but I don't and I am trying to set up the experiment before he comes in the next few days.

     

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • genebren
    genebren over 8 years ago in reply to jw0752

    John,

     

    The signals look good.  I really like the way you were able to modularize the driver onto a single adapter.  Very cool!

     

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 8 years ago in reply to michaelkellett

    Hi Michael,

    I love electronics, there are so many elegant ways to get from point A to point B. there are even some inelegant ways as evidenced from some of my own designs. I will mention your idea to Von. We are probably locked into the present path though as the parts have been ordered and time is of the essence to Von. Thank you for the idea. I am always interested in what you have to say.

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • michaelkellett
    michaelkellett over 8 years ago in reply to jw0752

    I've come very late to this discussion - only spotted it today.

     

    This may be a daft suggestion but here goes:

     

    Why not just use a quad op amp as the driver - may not be optimum for cost but an OPA4192 can do 0 - 30V, 20V/us slew rate, 10 mA drive easily, more for non continuous operation.

     

    Can get it in a TSSOP14 package so it's tiny. Resistors in 0402 or 4 in 1206 won't take up much space.

     

    Let me know if the idea is appealing and I'll think of a circuit.

     

    MK

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +5 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 8 years ago in reply to genebren

    Hi Gene,

    Von and I spent a couple hours today testing the MOSFET circuit that you recommended. We are using a TC2320 chip which has one N Ch and one P Ch chip in an SOIC 8 package. This allows us to put one driver circuit on each bread board adapter. I was also able to pull the other peripheral passives up onto the little adapter board. We will be able to drive one each of Von's 16 channels with each module and all we will have for external connections are power rails and one input and one output. We both want to thank you for the good solution to increasing the output of the device.

    image

     

    image

    The blue is the signal from the generator and the yellow is the output from the MOSFET module.

     

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 8 years ago in reply to jw0752

    John,

     

    The N-Channel MOSFET acts as an open drain inverter, so replacing it with an open collector inverter works fine.  Or, you could leave out the 7406 and drive an N-channel MOSFET directly (as shown in the initial reply).  Either way should work fine.

     

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • jw0752
    jw0752 over 8 years ago in reply to genebren

    Is there any advantage to the two stages using the P Ch as a switch and the N Ch as a driver? I have some TC2320 chips which house one of each.

     

    John

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • genebren
    genebren over 8 years ago in reply to jw0752

    John,

     

    Here is a quick sketch of how you could do this with a 7406 (open collector) to switch the high-side MOSFET.  Shown is a single channel.

    image

     

    Gene

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube