EDIT: added more photos of other rulers!
So as dissused in the latest call, we want to do b project that revolves around designing and manufacturing a handy PCB-Ruler. like the one I showed on stream.
Here are some pictures and some ideas for it:
this specimen has a header for RPI with pinout on it, every usable GPIO leads to a pad where you can solder smd resistors and leds onto it to have indication of pin state
Also some general cheatsheets for raspbian and desing references are marked, the holes act as drill guides if you want to mount your rpi inside something
I'd find it handy to add a function like this header extender, but solid and tidier to attach a breadboard directly to the pi, or beaglebone or arduino..
A debug board of some sorts would be handy, imagine pluging an arduino (like on the pic) into it and having a breadboard interface and leds to indicate pinstates on it
this one shows footprints for pcb designs
references for mechanical and pcb design as well a schematic cheatsheet
Because we talked about doing this as a community project I'd have the following suggestion:
Everybody and his grandma has done a ruler to rule them all (AvE has the best one/ and most offensive one without a doubt) we need enough space to do something cool on it (thus creating an interesting video(series?)).and doing multiple sections would make it very long and inconvenient(+expensive)
So I'd opt for a PCB-triangle-ruler, that means more space for everybody. for example 3 VCPs everybody gets one corner, the middle is e14 presents branded. metric and freedom units + funny made up ones. (for example a dot as reference of a plank-lenght)
If we have more than 3 willing VCPs we could let the community vote on which corners should be present on the final production unit. a BOM (one click cart) should be provided so users can populate it themselves if they get one as a giveaway.
I'd prefer to focus on the abuility to plug in an sbc or MCU + provdide code that uses the functionality of the design.
I'll also add a poll on which software you people use for pcbs, because it would be much easier to combine everything when we usd the same software suite.
please add your ideas to the comments.
Some guidelines I made up:
Function should be there even if no parts are soldered onto it.
MCUS etc should be for plug in
everything should be hand solderable (except if you want to do an smd challenge corner)
keep parts on one side only to ensure the ruler still lays flat when populated.










