element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Need to setup lab.. suggest equipment
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 21 replies
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 2975 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • labsetup
  • multimeter
  • oscilloscope.
Related

Need to setup lab.. suggest equipment

mudz
mudz over 7 years ago

Hi,

I am an independent designer/hobbyist. I am getting serious on few electronics stuff and need to setup my home lab. I am more inclined towards precision and digital stuff. Love technology of today, compact/handheld solutions. I have a budget of around $1500.

Kindly suggest me :

Multimeter

Oscilloscope

Any other stuff??
Power supply I wish to make myself but welcome opinions..

 

I already had a Fluke 115 True RMS meter but someone stole it.

 

Open to all suggestions.
Thank you

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • mudz
    mudz over 7 years ago

    Thank you all for your kind reply.
    I think I was not clear before, I am sorry for that.
    Actually I need to know specific equipment name like I was looking for FLUKE 87v multimeter.
    I know it is good multimeter what I wish to know from your experience is there any other better multimeter which I can get around this multimeter price?
    Or take an oscilloscope for example I already have an very old phillips 20MHZ one but I wish to get technology of now.

    I took this question to the community as I was confused which particular one to get. I have already seen so many reviews that got me confused which one to pick.
    I am looking for a good multimeter. Should I pick Fluke 87v or there is something better now?
    I am looking for an oscilloscope which is good, not so costly but will be helpful for general electronics use.
    Looking for Power Supply unit. Is tenma any good? Please suggest me one good dual Power supply with good voltage and current range?

    Also looking for function generator unit.

    Might as well I am looking for good soldering unit with temperature control? I already have one but that is for BGA desoldering unit and have pin point soldering iron with temperature control. I am currently using 5$ soldering iron for general soldering. So suggest me one good soldering station.

     

    image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 7 years ago in reply to mudz

    Hi!

     

    That's a really nice budget for equipment, but it won't provide much equipment if you're looking for stuff like a Fluke 87V. There was a video linked earlier by fmilburn that recommends spending $50 for a multimeter, and suggests some model (I can't recall which one). Such a recommendation sounds good I think. This isn't skimping, because modern $50 multimeters can be great.

    Since each project can easily cost $100 in parts, it's maybe better to spend this money as you work on each of the projects you want to do (and do stuff like buy a pack of resistors, rather than just enough for the project), and choose the equipment to test them with - that equipment will last for other similar and different projects, and means you won't end up with a lab that doesn't get used.

     

    Anyway, there's only about 3 essential tools - a soldering iron and multi-meter and power supply, possibly in that order. The video makes recommendations on these, but some stuff may be location-specific. For example, where I am, there are UK and European manufacturers for soldering irons and they are popular, but in the USA different manufacturer products are popular. What models are you considering? (in case people have experience of them).

    You may be able to acquire cutters, screwdrivers etc from family or hand-me-downs - I'm fairly sure I didn't buy that sort of stuff for years, because homes have this for DIY anyway.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 7 years ago in reply to shabaz

    Along the lines of what Shabaz recommends... Don't worry about filling up your lab overnight.  Get the basics and buy the rest as your projects require them.

     

    The $50 meter that Dave Jones recommends is an Extech EX330 which I own.  It is a good meter and I can recommend it although there may be others as good or better for the money.  He also recommends the Rigol 1052 (2 channel) oscilloscope - I recently purchased a used Rigol 1054 which is the four channel version and again no problem recommending it although there may be others as good.  I can't recommend the cheap power supply I have and am on the lookout for a dual supply myself - I am watching to see what Shabaz does with the Tenma supply he just bought :-).  I have a Hakko 888D which is a classic and works well but there are other models which some prefer.  Up until now I have used a microcontroller and parts to generate square and sine waves - no pressing need for anything more.  For the most my projects are not that demanding, I don't work with high voltages, and as Shabaz suggests I spend most of my money on the projects.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 7 years ago in reply to fmilburn

    My AD9850 Frequency Generator Booster Pack design for the TI MSP430FR6989 with encoder adjustable frequency to 32 MHz generating a clean 7000 Hz sine wave image.  Can't remember what it cost me to make but probably $10-$15 including the OSHPark  PCB.  Limited capability, but it was fun to make and for the most part has suited my needs..

    image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 7 years ago in reply to fmilburn

    My AD9850 Frequency Generator Booster Pack design for the TI MSP430FR6989 with encoder adjustable frequency to 32 MHz generating a clean 7000 Hz sine wave image.  Can't remember what it cost me to make but probably $10-$15 including the OSHPark  PCB.  Limited capability, but it was fun to make and for the most part has suited my needs..

    image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube