element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Need to setup lab.. suggest equipment
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 21 replies
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 2973 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • labsetup
  • multimeter
  • oscilloscope.
Related

Need to setup lab.. suggest equipment

mudz
mudz over 7 years ago

Hi,

I am an independent designer/hobbyist. I am getting serious on few electronics stuff and need to setup my home lab. I am more inclined towards precision and digital stuff. Love technology of today, compact/handheld solutions. I have a budget of around $1500.

Kindly suggest me :

Multimeter

Oscilloscope

Any other stuff??
Power supply I wish to make myself but welcome opinions..

 

I already had a Fluke 115 True RMS meter but someone stole it.

 

Open to all suggestions.
Thank you

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
  • philertman
    philertman over 7 years ago

    I always liked Tektronix scopes. They where very good and easy to set up and use. I favored Weller soldering irons with temperature control in base. I liked there pinpoint and blade tips. For multimeters I liked Simpson. If you can't or don't like Simpson Fluke is a good second choice. If you get a variable power supply I would suggest one with voltage and amp meters. Possibly B&K.

    For tools I would suggest a set of jewelers screwdrivers, socket drivers, standard screwdrivers and needle nose plyers. The most important thing is a magnet for holding screws. They sell magnetic trays at Menards. While you are there pick up a Levi apron and some thumb tacks. Tack the end of apron to your bench to catch runaway screws. Get a decent magnifier/fluorescent  light to attach

    to bench. Storage of small parts is your choice. Multi drawer cabinets or maybe just some old baby food jars.

     

    Phil

     

    A lot of this stuff can be found on a website called Governmentliquidation.com. It is an auction site so patience will be well served here. Of course there are hamfests, estate sales, antique stores(you would be surprised).

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • Andrew J
    Andrew J over 7 years ago in reply to michaelkellett

    I would second Michael's view.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • michaelkellett
    michaelkellett over 7 years ago in reply to mudz

    Before buying the Rigol compare carefully with the Siglent SDS1104Z-E - more scope for not much more money.

     

    SIglent seem to be creeping up on Rigol at the low end of the scope and Spectrum Analyser market.

     

    MK

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +3 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 7 years ago in reply to mudz

    Hi, I've not used the 1054z, but it's popular, and seems fine I think.

    I have a Rigol sig-gen, which works well (but annoyingly is ground-referenced on its output, but so are some other vendor ones too).

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mudz
    mudz over 7 years ago in reply to shabaz

    Yes, I'm looking forward for that too.

    For Fluke 87 v I was looking for general electronics to sometimes precise electronics measurements to 3 phase voltage debugging applications. So for general use its an overkill but I can trust it for industrial use for its safety features. I also have an MASTECH ms2203 as well but its not working properly. May be somebody used wrongly it in factory without consulting me but that's a story for another day.

     

    What's your take on Rigol 1054z? Any suggestions??

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 7 years ago in reply to mudz

    Wow. If you're considering a '289 as your next purchase, there was really no need for the 87 V. In comparison it's not a very feature-rich meter, but accurate and reliable like all Fluke's. The '289 is better in almost every way as I understand (I've not used a '289), a lot more exciting features. If I had to choose only between those two, my choice would have been the '289.

     

    You may feel these to be overkill eventually, when you want other gear, if large amounts of budget are already used up), but you'll know better than me about your requirements.

    Regarding review I bet people would love to see a review of whichever ones you go for. I'd like to see the '289 reviewed for sure..

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +1 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mudz
    mudz over 7 years ago in reply to shabaz

    Make sure it is a Fluke 87 V if it's cheap.

    I did hear that someone purchased one, but it was actually a used 83 V, inside a new 87 V shell (easy to tell because when you power it up, the LCD screen mentions the model number briefly).

    Duly noted will take a deep look at that. I'll post my unboxing and review video here if I made one.

     

    You will be happy with the 87 V capability (who wouldn't!) but it's a large chunk of money considering it will be a third of your $1500 budget for a single instrument.

    Actually I'm getting it for nearly one forth of my budget ! I have my doubts on that but will return if I found something suspicious about it.

     

    I feel it's a mistake. Maybe you could get more productivity with a 'scope and a decent mid-range meter, all for the same price.

    I have seen every good reviewer or hobbyist comparing other meters with the quality, accuracy to this meter.  So, I think one should have a good meter if budget allows it. Also, it will be helpful at my workplace(factory where there are faults most of the time). It will be helpful in debugging those faults and I can put my trust on its safety.

    I'm considering Rigol 1054z for scope. I need four channels for some reasons. any views on this one??

     

    Thanks shabaz for digging up that old thread. hah . I went through the thread again. I remembered that time budget was $100 and how times have changed now. It was an OK meter I had fun with that too. Thanks for your concerns and suggestions for that time as well as for now, helped this fellow member a lot. image

     

    Actually I'll buy one more meter soon. It will be either one you all are suggesting or FLUKE 289.

     

    Just ordered Fluke 87 v costed me around $328.

     

    Cheers !

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • shabaz
    shabaz over 7 years ago in reply to mudz

    Make sure it is a Fluke 87 V if it's cheap.

    I did hear that someone purchased one, but it was actually a used 83 V, inside a new 87 V shell (easy to tell because when you power it up, the LCD screen mentions the model number briefly).

    You will be happy with the 87 V capability (who wouldn't!) but it's a large chunk of money considering it will be a third of your $1500 budget for a single instrument. I feel it's a mistake. Maybe you could get more productivity with a 'scope and a decent mid-range meter, all for the same price.

     

    I only use a more accurate multimeter if the Fluke 170 series isn't good enough (I think I have a '175). The 115 you had was not very good for electronics design (any of the $50-100 multimeters mentioned by people in this thread would be better). I remember when you purchased it (and to be honest we did suggest those low-end Fluke series was not that great (for electronics design) at the time: Multimeter? TENMA 72-6130 or FLUKE 106 any good?  ).

    Anyway, I don't want to put you off if your heart is set on it, it is a capable meter.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +2 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • mudz
    mudz over 7 years ago

    Hello all image

    Well, I've given a lot of thoughts about things and with all pro's and needs, first thing I am going to go for is FLUKE 87 v.

    I'm little bit saddened that I have to choose amazon over element14 as product listed here costs almost double what I'm getting from amazon. I really don't know why there is such a huge difference in price.

     

    I'll purchase other items one by one and after getting my hands on this one. I'll post my selections here soon. I haven't ordered it yet but I'll soon after giving a final thought.

     

    Any thoughts/suggestions?

     

    image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
  • fmilburn
    fmilburn over 7 years ago in reply to fmilburn

    My AD9850 Frequency Generator Booster Pack design for the TI MSP430FR6989 with encoder adjustable frequency to 32 MHz generating a clean 7000 Hz sine wave image.  Can't remember what it cost me to make but probably $10-$15 including the OSHPark  PCB.  Limited capability, but it was fun to make and for the most part has suited my needs..

    image

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +4 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
>
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube