The clocking architecture on Ultra96-V2 uses a programmable IDT - Integrated Device Technology, Inc. VersaClock 6E:
In the block diagram below, you can see the various differential (LVDS) and single-ended (SE) clock outputs from that Avnet programmed into our Versaclock design.
IDT makes it easy to create your own clock architecture with their programmable devices and tools. To create your own configuration and get samples, you can use either an online form or download the Timing Commander software:
- Online Form: https://www.idt.com/us/en/buy-sample/customize/395051
- Timing Commander: https://www.idt.com/us/en/products/clocks-timing/timing-commander-software-download-resource-guide
Benefits that we realized on the Ultra96-V2 with the IDT VersaClock 6E
- Eliminated external crystal
- Replaced a clock synthesizer and 3 external oscillators with a single VersaClock
- Made use of two differential and four single-ended outputs at five different frequencies
- Programmed multiple configurations to give us the flexibility for other design scenarios without reprogramming or replacing the chip
- Met all our performance requirements for USB 3.0, USB 2.0, DisplayPort, and the Xilinx MPSoC primary clock input.
If you are interested in seeing more details on how we did this, you may request Avnet's TCS file or datasheet addendum from your Avnet FAE. The custom, pre-programmed part number for the Ultra96-V2 Programmable Clock is 5P49V6975A114LTGI, which is available at https://www.avnet.com/shop/us/products/renesas-electronics/5p49v6975a114ltgi-3074457345638736880
You can also purchase the Versaclock 6E Eval board if you'd like to experiment more.