Hello Freedom users
I just found in the drawer of my desk a Freescale FRDM-KL05Z board, that I have not used for a while.
When I plugged my Freedom on my computer, I noticed that its OpenSDA bootloader (the interface which allow you to switch between a Flash Programmer and debug application over USB) was outdated.
So I decided to write a tutorial to show you how to check if the OpenSDA bootloader of your Freedom board needs to be updated and how handle it.
First start your Freedom board in BOOTLOADER mode:
(1) Plug one end of the USB cable to your computer
(2) WHILE keeping the RESET button pressed, plug the other end of the USB cable to the OpenSDA USB connector of your Freedom board
(3) Release the RESET button
(4) Open your file explorer
You will notice that a new drive 'BOOTLOADER' is now available
(5) Double click on the BOOTLOADER drive from the left panel of your file explorer
The drive contains several files including a 'SDA_INFO.HTM' file
(6) Open the SDA_INFO.HTM with your usual web browser
Your browser should automaticaly jump to the PEmicro page dedicated to the OpenSDA (www.pemicro.com/opensda), where you can download the latest OpenSDA PEmicro Firmwares (MSD Flash Programmer and PEmicro debug) and the Windows/Linux USB drivers (for the OpenSDA PEmicro debug application).
The hardware informations about your Freedom board, including its Bootloader Version, are displayed in a blue frame.
The Bootloader Version of my FRDM-KL05Z is : 1.05
(7) Download the latest 'Firmware Apps' package available in a zip file
(8) Open the Pemicro_OpenSDA_Debug_MSD_Update_Apps_xxxx_xx_xx.zip and search the file entitled OpenSDA_Bootloader_Update_App_vxxx_xxxx_xx_xx.zip
The digit after the v in the file name is corresponding to the latest Bootloader available
Today the latest version is : 1.11
So my Freedom board must be updated to benefit the latest services and bug corrections available
(9) Extract the OpenSDA_Bootloader_Update_App_vxxx_xxxx_xx_xx.zip then extract the BOOTUPDATEAPP_Pemicro_v111.SDA file on your computer.
(10) Copy-Paste or Drag'n Drop the BOOTUPDATEAPP_Pemicro_v111.SDA file into the Bootloader drive from your file explorer
(11) Wait for the file been fully copied into the Bootloader drive
(12) Then unplug and replug the USB cable from the OpenSDA USB connector
(13) Repeat the previous steps, Open your file explorer, enter the Bootloader drive and Open the SDA_INFO.HTM file
Congratulation !! Your Freedom Bootloader should now have been updated to the latest version (min 1.11 from today)
I have tested this manipulation with Freedom FRDM-KL25Z, FRDM-KL05Z, FRDM-KL26Z, FRDM-KL02Z, FRDM-KL46Z, FRDM-K20D50M and FRDM-KE02Z boards.