Explorer 8 Development Kit
The Explorer 8 Development Kit is a full-featured development board and platform for 8-bit PIC® microcontrollers. This kit is a versatile development solution, featuring several options for external sensors, off-board communication and human interface. Additionally, it offers ample room for expansion, making it an excellent solution for developers and engineers looking for a tool with the largest number of supported 8-bit PIC MCUs.
The Explorer 8 Development Kit is the latest offering in a long line of enterprise-class tools for 8-bit PIC microcontrollers. The board is an evolution of the popular PIC18 Explorer Board, and has been updated to take advantage of our most modern features including:
- On-chip Core Independent Peripherals
- Compatibility with all PIC MCUs
- 8-, 14-, 20-, 28-, 40/44-, 64- and 80-pin footprints
Microchip designed the Explorer 8 Development Kit to be your main tool for 8-bit development with support for a wide variety of functions. On-board components enable easy development of human interface, power conversion, Internet of Things (IoT), battery charging and other applications using a powerful 8-bit PIC microcontroller.
Additionally, the Explorer 8 Development Kit also has a large capacity for expansion. Two Digilent Pmod™ interfaces, two MikroElectronika Click™ board sockets and two custom expansion headers allow you to quickly adapt as your development needs change. The Explorer 8 Development Kit supports several program and debug solutions including the PICkit™ 3, ICD 3 and MPLAB® REAL ICE™ In-Circuit Emulator.
The Explorer 8 Development Kit seamlessly integrates with MPLAB Code Configurator (MCC) for a modern embedded development experience. MCC is a free software plug-in that bridges our MCUs, development hardware and MPLAB X Integrated Development Environment (IDE). It allows you to generate easily modifiable, production-ready application code for many 8-bit PIC MCUs in just a few mouse clicks. Find out more at www.microchip.com/MCC
- Supports all 8-bit PIC microcontrollers from 8 to 80 pins
- Programming headers and power connections for all MCU sockets
- Three individual power supplies
- 5V, 3.3V, variable (1.5-4.5V)
- 16 - 2 character LCD module
- External connections for industry-standard communications and expansion interfaces
- RS232 and Bluetooth® Low Energy interfaces
- Push button switches for device reset and user-defi ned inputs
Explorer 8 Development Kit supports:
- Micro USB to I2C or Serial -
- Use the USB interface for diagnostic or control interfaces.
- USB to I2C/serial conversion is handled automatically.
- MikroElektronika Click Board Support -
- Two sockets provide access to nearly 100 add-on boards, with capabilities ranging from GPS to alcohol sensing.
- Digilent Pmod Support -
- Two 12-pin interfaces provide access to expansion boards with options for communications, sensing and power conversion capability.
- Multiple Expansion Options -
- A legacy expansion header for PICtail™ daughter card connectivity and a 120-pin edge connector enable you to expand the Explorer 8 Development Kit's capability to suit your needs.
- 20-pin Add-On Board Connector -
- Design your own add-on boards for sensor interface or motor drive, and connect them with this simple header.
- Development Board (DM160228)
- Pre-programmed PIC16F1719
- Micro USB cable