element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products
    Products
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
RoadTests & Reviews
  • Products
  • More
RoadTests & Reviews
RoadTest Forum POST 2 Road Out Ahead Red Pitaya STEMlab 125-14 PRO Gen 2 Starter Kit
  • Blogs
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • RoadTests
  • Reviews
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Sub-Groups
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join RoadTests & Reviews to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • Replies 8 replies
  • Subscribers 2748 subscribers
  • Views 292 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • RoadTest
  • test equipment
  • red pitaya
Related

POST 2 Road Out Ahead Red Pitaya STEMlab 125-14 PRO Gen 2 Starter Kit

colporteur
colporteur 12 days ago

I've experienced some challenges since I last wrote.

I'm about eight hours invested over the last few days and wanted to share my experience in the hope others can avoid the frustrations I've experienced.

image

FIRST:

The case I purchase online is for all the other models. The spec sheet at Digi_Key doesn't mention compatibility but in the Rd Pitaya startup guide under installing the case you discover.

image

The alternate way to find out is when the case arrives and you find out an 125-14 PRO is not a variation of a compatible Red Pitaya board. CRAP!

SECOND:

Don't bother using the OS provided on the SD card. There are more menu items that don't work than do. The biggest is not being able to upgrade. The system reports that it is offline. You can connect to the device over the network (keeps dropping for me) but behind the scenes the OS can't connect to the mother-ship or so it appears. 

So I installed the latest OS on a second SD card. I didn't want to lose what they gave me. I still had the same problem when I tried to upgrade using the menu. Offline.

I would like to share the story of how methodical troubleshooting solved the problem but that would be a lie. After Internet combing for answers and finding nothing, I thought I would look at the OS under the hood as a distraction. Ubuntu 24 is what I read the device is using. I stumble across the fix.

image

Set the correct date & time and timezone from the command line. I ssh'd to the device and from the command line made the time changes. You soon discover sudo apt update & upgrade work. Then when you try to upgrade via the application, It works

THIRD:

image

Another reasons to upgrade is there is more stuff on a new load than the old. On the left is the OS that came with the product. On the right is the current release. I'm not sure of what it all is but there is more stuff.

FORTH:

Be aware that not all blinking lights are the same. Documentation keeps referring to a row of LED's that can be used to determine status. What they don't tell you is that the LED pattern changes depending on the configuration of the board. A Red Pitaya with no eMMC flashes LED's differently that one with an eMMC. Very different. Now the light flashing might even be different between software versions. I'm not going to go back and test that theory. I just know I watched the light one time for three minutes after booting and the pattern never appeared but the board was working the whole time.

FIFTH:

If you find an extra M2 screw to hold the eMMC board in place it is mine. I was lucky to have just taken apart a laptop for disposal. The M2 screws from the laptop fit the Red Pitaya. Really difficult to push a power button and not have the board pop out of the connector holding it if that screw is missing.

I have to confess, I am not looking forward to working with the product. My extended tour of Quick Start Guide has eroded my confidence. First, second and third visits to the docs site is that it is a rabbit warren of dead ends.

I think I am going to cut holes in a card board box to have a case. The fruit slipped on the bench today missing the metal ends of the scope probes by the length of an M2 screw. I uttered some curse words as I boxed the useless case up for return.

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • DAB
    DAB 8 days ago

    Nice update.

    It is those kinds of issues that convinced me not to try this road test.

    I just do not have the patience to run down those types of issues anymore.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Reply
  • DAB
    DAB 8 days ago

    Nice update.

    It is those kinds of issues that convinced me not to try this road test.

    I just do not have the patience to run down those types of issues anymore.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
Children
  • colporteur
    colporteur 6 days ago in reply to DAB

    Those are my feelings right now after reading a response from tech support. I need some time to process it and prepare a response.

    In the past I enjoyed the challenge. In working through a RoadTest I wanted to learn, I wanted to help others and help identify to the vendor things that needed some work.

    I still want to help other members but when the vendor is doing so little and offers so little for support, I feel like I am working for them for free. I'm not the sharpest knife in the tech drawer and you got me solving this?

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up 0 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Cancel
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube