Review of STMicroelectronics STM32F0DISCOVERY for STM32F0 Cortex M0 MCU

Table of contents

RoadTest: STMicroelectronics STM32F0DISCOVERY for STM32F0 Cortex M0 MCU

Author: migration.user

Creation date:

Evaluation Type: Evaluation Boards

Did you receive all parts the manufacturer stated would be included in the package?: True

What other parts do you consider comparable to this product?: Arduino, Arduino Clones and alternatives (ATTiny series)

What were the biggest problems encountered?: One of the biggest problems I encountered was finding a good software to use with this board. I tend to work more with AVR and AVRstudio, but this board is an ARM. I looked at all the software but found them to be lacking in the feel I wanted. This is by no means a problem with the board, just a problem I had because I was unfamiliar with programming ARM's.

Detailed Review:

This was a great beginners kit to introduce people to the STM32 F0 Cortex ARM microcontroller. I have had little to no experience using ARM microcontrollers, and after installing the free trial of IAR, EWARM I was able to follow the very well written tutorials provided on their website to get the different example codes programmed onto the board. I then spent the day working on a breakout that would flash different LED's with PWM to go through a series of RGB like a color cube. I found it challengeing at first to get used to programming for ARM's but the board has a built in debugger which helped me with correcting my mistakes. The LED Cube worked perfectly as per say and I can't wait to try thif for another project. This was not a very complef project, but I feel as though being a complete beginner with ARM processors I accomplished and learned how to use them in a fairly short amount of time. Overall the Quality of the tutorials for the STM32 F0 were great, and they really helped me learn and get started with this board. Another plus is that it has more IO than an Arduino and for 8$ and the willingness for the less userfriendlieness this board is great.

Anonymous