Thank you for your interest in applying for an element14 RoadTest. While the RoadTest application is both simple and brief, it requires some effort, planning and strategy to write a winning application. This document will give you some tips on how to complete your application so you have a better chance of being selected to RoadTest the product of your choice.
The element14 RoadTest is a product review program performed by the element14 Community’s technical Members. They conduct detailed tests of a wide variety of products offered by top quality manufacturers. Once you have been selected as a RoadTester, element14 will send you the product for FREE in exchange for your feedback.
RoadTests go beyond traditional reviews by providing an objective opinion about a product’s quality, ease of use, and performance – usually in a real prototype or bench top project. Our Manufacturing partners benefit as well by finding out what additional documentation might be required or how to address how their products could better perform in various “real life” applications.
Starting the Application
Once you click the “Enroll” button on the RoadTest page of the product, the short and easy to complete application page will appear. The top part of the application asks for required contact information (name, phone, email, address, etc.). After all, if you win, we need a proper mailing address!
Completing the Comments Section of the Application Form
The next section looks similar to the interface of a word processor. This is the most important section of the RoadTest application. It is the place where you will explain why you want to RoadTest the product and why you’re the most qualified person to win – all in under 32,000 characters. Most RoadTest applications are not that long, but it helps to have detailed information as outlined in these tips:
- Tell us about yourself. The element14 Community consists of over 500,000 members. So, we may not know you personally. That’s why it is a good idea to introduce yourself. We don’t need your life story (unless it’s relevant) but do tell us about your previous or current job, credentials, and your previous experience using products like the one you want to test.
- Why are you applying? Winners don’t get any additional compensation over the cost of the product – so, why are you applying? What’s your motivation? If you are excited about this product, tell us why. Being honest, authentic and personal helps us determine who is committed enough to complete the RoadTest and have some fun in the process.
- How will you RoadTest the product? Now we are getting into the details of your review of the product. Give us a description of your testing procedure. This helps us understand your knowledge of product as well as its applications. If you don’t have an exact procedure written down, then provide us with an outline of the steps you will take. Be detailed. Using graphics, block diagrams, images, even a video can really help you stand out from the other applicants.
- Describe your participation in the element14 community: Since RoadTests are an element14 "participation" program, we look for applicants who are participating in the community. So, list a few ways you have participated in the community, such as blogs written, discussions started, comments made, or any involvements in other community programs.
- Can you commit to completing the testing and review writing in 60 days ? We want to select RoadTest applicants who not only have the skills to conduct a thorough review of the product, but also have the commitment and time to complete it. So, give us an idea of your schedule and indicate whether you can complete the RoadTest within 60 days from receipt of the product.
Final Tip: Single Sentence Applications Never Win!
Many roadtest applicants write a single sentence application. If you do, you will never win. RoadTests have a competitive application process, so the most thorough applications catch the eye of the selection team. It takes a lot of time to go through all the applications. To impress in the mind of the selection team that you are a serious applicant, it makes sense to write a detailed application.