To be clear, “Shades of Grey” is not anyone’s favorite TNG episode. This is why we wanted to make sure we included never-seen-before content in this build. So even if you already watched the 500th episode, there are new segments and details on how the Baldcorder build went.
Attached to this document are the same STL files used in the build. Please don’t leave your printer unattended when printing the body pieces. My printer failed about one-third of the time I tried to build it.
A version of the vinyl decals is attached for reference. The layers and colors are set up so that the red lines should be a cut line on a vinyl (or laser?) cutter.
All of the Arduino code should compile with 1.8.x version of the IDE. You’ll need to install Arduino MKR ZERO support in the board manager. The “acknowledgements.md” file has links to the libraries you need as well.
Attached is a snapshot of the code when I finished the project. Below is a link to the Github repo, which might be newer.
Live Stream Links:
While this video is only about 20 minutes, at least 40 hours went into building the Baldcorder. Below is a list of links to all of the live streams where I worked on the project, by subject. (Initial CAD designs, the decal design, painting tests, final painting, 3d printing, and final assembly were all done “off-line.”)
- Part 1: VL53L0X Proximity Sensor Testing
- Part 2: Photo Interruptor for Serial Communication
- Part 3: Amplifying the DAC output with an Op-Amp (for Audio)
- CAD Design in Fusion 360 Part 1
- CAD Design in Fusion 360 Part 2
- Part 5: Light sensing and cap touch
- Part 6: New Arduino Code Base
- Part 7: Finalizing code features
- Part 8: Moving circuits to protoboards
- Part 9: Power Supply testing (and problems)
- Part 10: Near-final assembly
- Episode 500: Build Inside The Box Challenge!
- Build Inside The Box - Sump Pump Alarm
- Build Inside The Box - Member Projects!
- Build Inside the Box Member Challenge - WINNERS!
Bill of Material:
|Product Name||Manufacturer||Quantity||Buy Now|
|Arduino MKR Zero||Arduino||1||Buy Now|
|Multicomp Pro USB Bank||Multicomp Pro||1||Buy Now|
|WAGO Pluggable Terminal Block||WAGO||1||Buy Now|
|MCP604 Op Amp||Microchip||1||Buy Now|
|OLED Display||MIDAS||1||Buy Now|
|Analog Temperature Sensor||Microchip||1||Buy Now|
|TOF Range/Proximity Sensor||ST Micro||1||Buy Now|
|NeoPixel Stick||Adafruit||1||Buy Now|
|Adafruit Quarter Perma-Board|