element14 Community
element14 Community
    Register Log In
  • Site
  • Search
  • Log In Register
  • Community Hub
    Community Hub
    • What's New on element14
    • Feedback and Support
    • Benefits of Membership
    • Personal Blogs
    • Members Area
    • Achievement Levels
  • Learn
    Learn
    • Ask an Expert
    • eBooks
    • element14 presents
    • Learning Center
    • Tech Spotlight
    • STEM Academy
    • Webinars, Training and Events
    • Learning Groups
  • Technologies
    Technologies
    • 3D Printing
    • FPGA
    • Industrial Automation
    • Internet of Things
    • Power & Energy
    • Sensors
    • Technology Groups
  • Challenges & Projects
    Challenges & Projects
    • Design Challenges
    • element14 presents Projects
    • Project14
    • Arduino Projects
    • Raspberry Pi Projects
    • Project Groups
  • Products and Partners
    Products and Partners
    • Arduino
    • Avnet & Tria Boards Community
    • Dev Tools
    • Manufacturers
    • Multicomp Pro
    • Product Groups
    • Raspberry Pi
    • RoadTests & Reviews
  • About Us
    About the element14 Community
  • Store
    Store
    • Visit Your Store
    • Choose another store...
      • Europe
      •  Austria (German)
      •  Belgium (Dutch, French)
      •  Bulgaria (Bulgarian)
      •  Czech Republic (Czech)
      •  Denmark (Danish)
      •  Estonia (Estonian)
      •  Finland (Finnish)
      •  France (French)
      •  Germany (German)
      •  Hungary (Hungarian)
      •  Ireland
      •  Israel
      •  Italy (Italian)
      •  Latvia (Latvian)
      •  
      •  Lithuania (Lithuanian)
      •  Netherlands (Dutch)
      •  Norway (Norwegian)
      •  Poland (Polish)
      •  Portugal (Portuguese)
      •  Romania (Romanian)
      •  Russia (Russian)
      •  Slovakia (Slovak)
      •  Slovenia (Slovenian)
      •  Spain (Spanish)
      •  Sweden (Swedish)
      •  Switzerland(German, French)
      •  Turkey (Turkish)
      •  United Kingdom
      • Asia Pacific
      •  Australia
      •  China
      •  Hong Kong
      •  India
      •  Japan
      •  Korea (Korean)
      •  Malaysia
      •  New Zealand
      •  Philippines
      •  Singapore
      •  Taiwan
      •  Thailand (Thai)
      •  Vietnam
      • Americas
      •  Brazil (Portuguese)
      •  Canada
      •  Mexico (Spanish)
      •  United States
      Can't find the country/region you're looking for? Visit our export site or find a local distributor.
  • Translate
  • Profile
  • Settings
Community Hub
Community Hub
Member's Forum Documentation of projects
  • Blog
  • Forum
  • Documents
  • Quiz
  • Events
  • Leaderboard
  • Polls
  • Files
  • Members
  • Mentions
  • Sub-Groups
  • Tags
  • More
  • Cancel
  • New
Join Community Hub to participate - click to join for free!
Actions
  • Share
  • More
  • Cancel
Forum Thread Details
  • State Suggested Answer
  • Replies 10 replies
  • Answers 10 answers
  • Subscribers 632 subscribers
  • Views 3410 views
  • Users 0 members are here
  • documentation
  • schematics
  • docs
  • learning
Related

Documentation of projects

brianchilders
brianchilders over 6 years ago

    What are some tools that you use to document projects?

 

For example, when I look at projects online, they often have a BOM (Bill of Materials) as well as pictures of the project.

 

But when it comes to documenting the actual schematics, this is an area where I see less of.  I understand that there may be varying levels of experience, but as I share my ideas here, I would like for others to easily build or reproduce what I've done.

 

In addition to technical schematics, is there a program that makes a "pretty picture" e.g. how parts might be laid out on a breadboard?

 

Thanks for your help!

 

-brian

  • Sign in to reply
  • Cancel
Parents
  • Andrew J
    0 Andrew J over 6 years ago

    I have captured design notes, Spice models, schematics, calculations, testing data, drill patterns and case layouts.  Basically, anything I think I might need to minimise errors or understand what was done when/if I come back to it later.  Also, in case others are interested.  Makes me sound experienced, but this is just over two or three projects so far.

     

    I use Kicad for the schematics - its easy to pick up and feature packed.  You could create the breadboard (actually PCB laid out in BB dimensions) and use the 3D view feature to see the part layouts.  Most, but unfortunately not all parts have a 3D model and you can screen capture the image on different rotations and viewpoints.  Not ideal of course as hookup wire won’t be there so until it was tried I don’t know how well it might work in practice.  I suppose one question worth asking is does it matter if the layout matches what would be done on a breadboard even if the base looks like a PCB?? Other tools I use are Excel for BOMs and calculations, and Omnigraffle (MacOS version of Visio) for layout planning and drill patterns.

     

    If you are doing it for others’ use, I always think it worth documenting your thinking as well, particularly if you go down a dead-end or change your mind on something.  The trials and tribulations are as interesting and insightful as providing a fully working, tested solution.

     

    Good question.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Reject Answer
    • Cancel
Reply
  • Andrew J
    0 Andrew J over 6 years ago

    I have captured design notes, Spice models, schematics, calculations, testing data, drill patterns and case layouts.  Basically, anything I think I might need to minimise errors or understand what was done when/if I come back to it later.  Also, in case others are interested.  Makes me sound experienced, but this is just over two or three projects so far.

     

    I use Kicad for the schematics - its easy to pick up and feature packed.  You could create the breadboard (actually PCB laid out in BB dimensions) and use the 3D view feature to see the part layouts.  Most, but unfortunately not all parts have a 3D model and you can screen capture the image on different rotations and viewpoints.  Not ideal of course as hookup wire won’t be there so until it was tried I don’t know how well it might work in practice.  I suppose one question worth asking is does it matter if the layout matches what would be done on a breadboard even if the base looks like a PCB?? Other tools I use are Excel for BOMs and calculations, and Omnigraffle (MacOS version of Visio) for layout planning and drill patterns.

     

    If you are doing it for others’ use, I always think it worth documenting your thinking as well, particularly if you go down a dead-end or change your mind on something.  The trials and tribulations are as interesting and insightful as providing a fully working, tested solution.

     

    Good question.

    • Cancel
    • Vote Up +6 Vote Down
    • Sign in to reply
    • Verify Answer
    • Reject Answer
    • Cancel
Children
No Data
element14 Community

element14 is the first online community specifically for engineers. Connect with your peers and get expert answers to your questions.

  • Members
  • Learn
  • Technologies
  • Challenges & Projects
  • Products
  • Store
  • About Us
  • Feedback & Support
  • FAQs
  • Terms of Use
  • Privacy Policy
  • Legal and Copyright Notices
  • Sitemap
  • Cookies

An Avnet Company © 2026 Premier Farnell Limited. All Rights Reserved.

Premier Farnell Ltd, registered in England and Wales (no 00876412), registered office: Farnell House, Forge Lane, Leeds LS12 2NE.

Follow element14

  • X
  • Facebook
  • linkedin
  • YouTube