I used to be an avid reader of Practical Electronics back in my youth but stopped reading when I realised that the projects were just repeating again and again.
Do people still read electronics magazines? Are they still relavent?
I used to be an avid reader of Practical Electronics back in my youth but stopped reading when I realised that the projects were just repeating again and again.
Do people still read electronics magazines? Are they still relavent?
Another former Elektor reader here - until it left me behind in technological and financial terms.
For those still interested it IS still in print, also online from the same site. I do still see it very occasionally in WH Smith - very occasionally though.
Everyday Practical Electronics (EPE) used to be one of my regulars and a few others.
Now I purchase the odd Pi or Arduino publication - usually 'bumper' issues or specials, primarily so I don't have to rely on finding online articles again (or discovering they are no longer available.
Don't forget Popular Electronics, Radio Electronics, and Circuit Cellar (still around). More for professionals but still full of interesting ideas (at least in the
"good old days") Electronic Design, EDN (Electronic Design News), and Computer Design.
For software there was Dr Dobbs (Running light without Overbyte), and C Users Group.
Plus a whole slew of hardware and software magazines that only lasted a few years and which I still have a few back issues of.
I get my info online too, but I tend to not read much magazine style publications there mainly because I already spend more than 8 hours a day looking at a computer screen.
I'd probably enjoy a paper based hobby-tech magazine like MagPi or Make magazine, but I don't really see them in our stores and I just don't find the value in a yearly subscription given that I'd probably flip through most of it pretty quickly.
One thing that used to bother me about such magazines (woodworking back then) is that they had all these fun projects and ideas but I never had time to do any of them, which was depressing. I prefer to DO rather than just read about it.
-Nico
>The coverage is no longer comprehensive, quality has suffered as demand has dropped and the internet has taken over.
Totally agree. It seems I learn more from the ads than from the content. I kind of wonder if that's because the people writing the content are the younger journalist/writer types and so the things they can write about are generally things we've already learned in the past. Like all those "10 things you didn't know..." or "info that will change your life!" memes that drive me nuts with useless repetitive info. And the power company teaching me how to cut my energy bills by turning off the lights - something our parents drilled into us as kids!
I receive a couple of contractor magazines... because I'm a software contractor and that's pretty much the same thing as a construction contractor
, but I love them for the things I learn... from the ads 
The ads point out new technologies that are making life easier. So I know I can add a bathroom in my basement at minimal cost, I know there's newer better roofing underlays and interesting insulations and building panels and methods.
I'll probably use a lot of that info to build a new shed soon.
-Nico
There was a time when I read about 60 magazines a month.
Now, the only one I read regularly is the MagPi magazine.
With web access, I can get much faster access to trending issues and specific information, so in many respects, magazines have gone away for me.
DAB
I used to read a lot of magazines - Electronics, Byte, PC World, Electronics Today and a slew of others, but that was all in the last century. Since then I occasionally glance through EP&T because they keep sending them, but I generally don't read paper magazines any more. The coverage is no longer comprehensive, quality has suffered as demand has dropped and the internet has taken over. Search engines are a huge improvement in some senses, but browsing and serendipitous discovery are problematic with the internet. If magazines were still as good as they were in their heyday, I would still read them.