The list of issues to be considered when using ulinkplus debugger together with KEIL MDK.
- The ARM ulink plus debugger is very new in the market and it seems many development boards are not 10 pin SWD connector compatible with the new debugger, specially the old boards. For old boards which are supported by 20 pin connector a mini- translator is needed.
- It also does not support many of the new families of ARM devices such as XC800, µPSD, XC166/XE166/XC2000, LPC950 (8051), ARM7 and ARM9.
- List of unsupported ARM families.
- The supported ARM families are Arm Cortex-A (32-bit), Arm Cortex-M. Many of the supported micro-controller development boards do not have a 10 pin Cortex debugger connector. They only have micro usb serial support. A translator from micro-usb to 10 pin SWD connector has to be built to interface the ARM ulinkplus debugger.
- For the family of supported micro-controllers many development boards are from ST which need the ST debugger and Segger debugger but not the KEIL debugger.
- Also in this small list of supported devices development boards many of the sample code is not pre-complied for KEIL but for IAR or LPCXpresso software (open source Eclipse tool for NXP development boards)
- For the old development boards with NXP micro-controllers; I was also not able to find the device startup files and compiler files. And ofcourse NXP has better support designed for LPCXpresso opensource software.
- NXP (founded by Philips) LPC11U37/501 micro-controller is not currently supported by ULINKplus.
- After talking to tech support of ARM in Munich for an hour I also found out that the old startup.s code which I had got pre-complied with the legacy KEIL MDK4 is not compatible with the KEIL MDK5 version if new features such as Event Recorder and Event Statistics are to be used. The problem even exists after converting the project from MDK4 to MDK5 using the KEIL IDE. Hence you can see many errors in my Event Recorder testing window. If new features are to be used then the new device startup.s and startup.c file provided by the KEIL MDK5 in the Manage Run Time Environment Window must be used for the specified development boards. All the old startup files are to be re-done manually else the Event Statistics may not work (as in my case) and even the Event Recorder many not work 100%.
So in conclusion it was quite difficult to find a development board designed for ARM ulinkplus debugger which can be tested together with the Keil MDK5 uVision software for all the new cool features.
This Road-test is further divided into the following blogs