I have to apologize that this project has came to such a sad state of stalling.
I have continued to research and see if there are other ways that I can get this working but so far no luck.
I have completely ripped the project back down, retested the gps with arduino Uno and then re-assembled and retried code provided as good to go for serial/gps testing.
Code is same as in Blog 8.
I did find some hints that others have had the same issue: https://e2e.ti.com/support/microcontrollers/msp430/f/166/p/586961/2165670
"Please help somehow the serial monitor is not displaying any readings when I connect the GPS to P3.2 and P3.3 ..."
"Well I have been working in arduino for sometime now and the first part was implemented correctly..No problem at all...But when I am going to implement the same in msp432 nothing is happening..."
This sounds mighty similar to what I am running into.
Later he references success from information he found at 43oh.com but never details what was done. :-(
"Thanks at least I can now get the location in my serial monitor...Forum 43oh was of great help"
"Thanks for all your help...I was finally able to successfully complete the whole project"
No links, so I have been checking the forum myself but keep getting: